Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A few weeks after Mr. Wiloughby’s funeral, the big day had arrived: Mr. Blackhorne’s ball. So far her plan had gone off without a hitch, her mother wasn’t suspicious about Jessamina’s intentions (despite that she had changed her mind about attending social events a few hours after refusing to do so), and Marian was so convinced that Jessamina was in love with James, that she was willing to do whatever it takes to make Jessamina look pretty for the party.

This was, unfortunately, more difficult than expected. For even with the beautiful dress on (a dress that Marian said “would distract every young man from here to Scotland”) and her hair pinned up attractively, Jessamina’s face was hollow. She hadn’t truly smiled since her father died. Every upturn of the lips was merely a show to hide how numb she felt inside. She had bags under her eyes from the lack of sleep, and her cheekbones were sunken in from her lack of appetite. She was, in all forms and manners, a shadow of the great young lady she could have become. And because of this, no matter how she tried, she looked as if she didn’t belong in her attire. She would much prefer to wear her dark grey traveling suits and high necked dresses that she was accustomed to. Any color seemed out of place against her pale, almost translucent skin.

But, she had to try her best. She put on a pair of white silk elbow-length gloves, wrapped a black shawl around her shoulders.
“Mother, I’m ready to leave when you are!” she shouted across the hall.
“I’ll be right down! You should go ahead and wait for me in the carriage; tell Mr. Shelby I’ll be right there.”
“Very well. Please hurry, I want to get there as soon as possible.” She rushed down the stairs and always out the door before Marian stopped her.

“Miss Jessamina?”
“Yes, Marian?”
“Good luck tonight with your mission.”
“What mission?”
“Why, winning Mr. Blackhorne, of course! You’ll enchant him, I’m sure. Just remember to smile that pretty smile of yours!”

In her mind, Jessamina wanted to tell her that the smile w\she thought was pretty was merely a forcing of the muscles around her mouth to move a certain way, but instead she demonstrated that “smile” for her and opened the door. She was on the way to the carriage, looking at the ground avoid getting her dress ready, when she ran into something solid. She looked up in horror; Edmund.

“Jessamina!” he exclaimed.
“Sorry. I didn’t see you.”
“I’ll say so. Are you alright?”
“Yes. Sorry.”
“Not a problem.” He looked at her dress with recognition. For a fleeting moment, Jessamina thought she could sense a trace of sadness on his face but before she could interpret its meaning, he was his ever chipper self again. “Where are you off to?”
“A party, actually.”
“Really?”
“Yes. Mr. Blackhorne’s son, James, is turning twenty-one today, and mother and I were invited.”
“Well, that’s wonderful. It’s nice to see to see you out and about, Jessamina. It wouldn’t do to have a pretty little thing like you holed up in this place for too long. You might go crazy. Although I’m sure your mother dragged you into this.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Nothing! Just that it’s hard to imagine you at a party unless you had some sort of reason. If I remember correctly, social events of this magnitude were never on your list of pleasant activities.”
“For your information, Edmund, I am attending this party so that I may hopefully charm Mr. Blackhorne enough to court me. I’m looking to be married, and Mr. Blackhorne is an handsome, rich young man. And seeing as though I can’t think of anyone else who is interested in me, there’s no reason for him not be my first choice.”
“So, you’re attending this party in the hopes of finding a suitor.”
“Precisely.” He looked at her dumbly. “What? Is that hard to for you to believe, Edmund? That I want to get married?”
“No, not at all--”
“I’m nearly twenty, Edmund. I don’t have time to sit around and wait for Prince Charming to show up and sweep me off my feet. Fairy tales don’t exist at my age--”
“Jessamina, I’m glad that you’re choosing to do this--”
“Oh, are you?”
“Yes. And for what it’s worth, Mr. Blackhorne would be a fool not to dance with you. I can’t think of anyone else who could possibly look more beautiful than you look tonight.”

Jessamina just stared at him.

“Have a wonderful evening, Jessamina. I hope everything works out well for you.” he gave a small sad smile, bowed, and headed inside the house.

Jessamina stood on the outside step puzzled by his behavior. She couldn’t understand how he could be son fine with her intentions of flirting with another man, even after him saying that he still cared for her! She wasn’t a fool; she knew that he must have some sort of feeling for her, or else he wouldn’t have looked so sad, and yet her wished her well on her quest for marriage. Jessamina didn’t understand how anyone could be so contradictory.

She didn’t have any more time to ponder her situation though, because her Mother came bustling out in her finest apparel, and shooed her into the carriage.

“What are you doing, standing out here like some sort of beggar? Go on, get into the carriage!” Mrs. Delaney shouted.
Jessamina hurried in, and collapsed with a loud “swish” into her seat.

The carriage left their house in silence, with Mrs. Delaney fiddling with her scarf while jessamina gaze off angrily into the distance, still infuriated by her conversation with Edmund.

“Were you talking to Edmund earlier, Jessamina? I saw him come in just as I was leaving.”
“Yes, he wanted to ask me where I was going.”
“And?” Mrs. Delaney persisted. “What did he say when you told him?”
“He told me that he was happy for me, and he wished me well on my merry little way.”
“Really?”
“Truly, Mother.”
“How peculiar,” Mrs. Delaney murmured. “I always thought that... well, never mind.”

Jessamina was too wrapped up in her own thought to hear what her mother had said, but when she finally comprehended her mother’s words, she turned towards her with a start. “Wait, what did you mean by that?”
“Hmm?”
“You said you always thought that Edmund what?”
“Oh, just that I always thought that he was in love with you.”
“And what made you think that?”
“Oh, well, his behavior, I suppose. The way he would look at you when you entered a room. His eagerness to help carry your bags or tutor you in Latin. The way he reddened whenever your father said your name.”
“You noticed all of that?”
“I’d be a fool not to,” Mrs. Delaney scoffed. “Which is why I’m surprised to hear that he’s happy to see you off to find a husband. I suppose I always imagined that he would ask for your hand. Not that I would have allowed it, of course. But still, I always rather liked him.”

Jessamina wanted to shake her mother senseless. Her mother knew all this time, and never once said anything to her!

But it was too late to dwell on such matter now. What’s done is done, and Edmund and Jessamina’s chance at having a life together had long since passed.

The carriage halted to a stop and Jessamina was jolted out of her own thoughts. She looked out the window and gasped in amazement, they were in front of a giant mansion at least an acre wide, and what seemed like hundreds of men and women were pilling into the front hall.

“You go ahead inside, dear,” Mrs. Delaney said. “I’ll see to it that we pay the valet handsomely, so that Mr. Blackhorne will see how well our family is doing.”

Jessamina normally would have protested that it shouldn’t matter how much money they had, but she was so in awe of the house that she obeyed her mother without any question.

“May I take your shawl, miss?” a young servant at the door asked.
“Why yes, thank you,” she replied.

Jessamina though the exterior of the mansion was breathtaking, but she was even more impressed with the inside. Flowers decked every banister, and candelabras gave the great hall a warm and inviting atmosphere.

She wandered around the hall for a bit, using the fact that no one there really knew who she was to her advantage. She eavesdropped on any conversation she could be privy to, but mostly they old women were just discussing their own personal problems, which were of less than zero interest to Jessamina.

After an hour of sleuthing, she finally found what she was looking for. Four servants were standing in a semicircle around a chaise lounge in the corner. She couldn’t see his face, but she noticed a gloved hand holding a black walking stick with a giant diamond on the top of it.

Vincent Blackhorne.

She picked up her skirts and was about to walk up to him to get a closer look, when all of a sudden, a familiar voice called out to her.

“Could it be? Has Jessamina Delaney graced us with her presence?” the voice shrieked.

Jessamina cringed. A voice that harsh and grating could only belong to one person. And unfortunately, that one person was not someone that could be easily ignored. She plastered a fake smile on her face and turned around.

“Alexis DuBoise,” Jessamina said through clenched teeth.

Alexis was considered a traditional beauty by many standpoints, but each trait that men found admirable about Alexis just irritated Jessamina to no end. Her teeth were blindingly white. Her white blond hair was curled so tightly that Jessamina thought she had springs attached to her head. Her lips were stained a blood red, and her cheeks were so rouged that she looked as if she had some sort of rash on her cheekbones. And worst of all was her gown: a bright pink tulle dress with a high collar so stiff, that she had to turn her whole body in order to look left or right. It took all of Jessamina’s strength not to gag in horror.

“Jessamina, darling! I can’t believe you’re actually here! What a complete and total surprise!”
“Good to see you as well, Alexis.”

“And what an... interesting dress! Taffeta was so in fashion three season ago, you know.”

“You don’t say.”

“Yes, and it was very expensive, too. Although nowadays, it’s practically worthless. No one in their right mind would be caught dead wearing taffeta at a party! It’s much to heavy to dance in. I admire you for your nonchalance towards the latest fashions, Jessamina. Only you would be able to manage wearing something so... different from the rest of us. But then again, you always like being the odd one out, don’t you?”

“I suppose I do.”

“But how have you been, Jessamina? I haven’t seen you since... what was it, my coming out party?”

********************************

Only a year after her husband’s death, Mrs. Delaney wanted Jessamina to attend Alexis Dubose’s coming out party.

“But Mother, it’s barely been a year since Father died. We’re still in mourning.”
“No, I’m still in mourning, my dear. Your mourning period ended months ago. You’re perfectly able to attend her party.”
“Mother, mourning doesn’t have an expiry date. I’m not going anywhere. You know those parties hold no interest me. Especially a party of Alexis’.”
“What do you mean?”
“She’s horrible, Mother! An absolute monster! I’ve never met anyone more vile than Alexis Dubose.”
“I think she’s charming.”
“That’s because all you do is look at her. If you actually heard the words coming out of that perfectly puckered mouth of hers, you would know that she has no soul.”
“Jessamina, it’s time for you to re-enter society. You never had your coming out party--”
“Because Father died! Have you forgotten?--”
“So this is your only chance to salvage any marriage opportunities.”
“Mother, no man there would interest me.”
“Jessamina, I’m you mother, and I’m demanding that you go! End of discussion!”

Jessamina stormed out of her house and into her father’s office, so she could calm herself down. She sat in the back room and concentrated on her breathing until Edmund came in.

“Jessamina? What are you doing here?”
“Oh, Edmund!” she ran into his arms held him in a tight embrace.
“What’s wrong?”
“It’s Mother.”
“What? Is she alright?”
“yes, yes, she’s fine. Too fine, actually.”
“What do you mean?”
“She wants me to attend Alexis’ party so that I can show everyone that I’ve reentered society.”
“But it’s only been a year!”
“Exactly my point! I can’t believe she’s so quick to dishonor father’s memory like that.”
Edmund held her in silence for a few minutes.

“Well, Jessa,” he said, “I think you’re absolutely right that it’s far too soon for you to be celebrating. However--”
“Oh no!”
“However, your mother wants to see that you’re a well-adjusted young woman. I promise you, your mother is in just as much grief as you are; she just has a different way of dealing with it.”
“And what’s that?”
“To go on with life. Time heals all wounds-- at least, that’s your mother’s philosophy. That’s the only way she knows how to feel that her life isn’t completely over. She’s scared that you’ll simply keep reliving that part of your life over and over again, and she wants to make sure that you’re going to be okay. I think you should go/”
“Edmund!”
“I’m not saying you should try to have a good time, or even make conversation. I just think you show your face for a few minutes, to show everyone that you’re going to be okay. And if it will help, I’ll go with you.”
“Really?”
“I know Alexis from the few times she’s been in here picking up medications, and I suppose out of courtesy, she invited me. I wasn’t planning on going, but if you’d like me to--”
“Yes. It’ll be nice to have someone I care about there with me.”
“Then I’ll send my acceptance at once.” He smiled and kissed her forehead. Now, why don’t you tell your mother that you’ll go to the ball, but you’ll only stay for as long as you want That way, if you start to feel like it’s too much for you, we can leave.”

She decided that Edmund was right. Even if she wasn’t going to enjoy herself, at least her mother would feel that she was doing her job. She did decide, however, that she wasn’t going to wear her blue party dress. She would never wear that again, as looking at it only reminded her of the events that took place the last time she wore it.

She decided, instead, to wear one of her lighter mourning dresses. She had a simple black muslin with long sleeves and a high collar. She would attach her father’s brooch to it, and that way she wouldn’t feel as if she were betraying her father by going to this ball.

She entered the ballroom with Edmund by her side and was surprised at how... normal everything seemed. Life really did seem to have continued without her father’s presence in the world. This thought almost made her tear up, but she hadn’t cried since the day of her father’s death, and nothing was going to change that.

“Do you mind if I leave you for a second?” Edmund asked. “I see Mrs. Kensington over there, and I need to ask her how her son’s pneumonia is doing.”

Ever since her father died, Edmund had been running the physician’s office by himself, and doing a wonderful job at it. He had started out only helping her father make the medicines, but after spending five years listening to her father diagnose medical problems, Edmund could identify and treat nearly any symptom a patient approached him with. Yes, the Delaneys had lost a lot of customers once they realized that Edmund had not gone to any sort of college, but Jessamina was incredibly proud of how quickly he was gaining favor again. Soon, she knew, he would be able to ask for her hand in marriage, and Jessamina couldn’t wait for that day to come.

“Of course, darling!” she said. “I’ll be fine.”

He gave her hand an affectionate squeeze, straightened his tie, and with his easygoing smile approached Mrs. Kensington.

Jessamina loved watching the way Edmund interacted with patients. He was always incredibly polite, never raising his voice or letting a smile disappear from his face. Mr. Delaney’s biggest piece of advice that he ever gave to Edmund, was that “people want to be comforted and told that they are going to be alright. Tell a perfectly healthy man that he has no chance of living pasty Sunday, and his depression will certainly kill him. But tell a sick man that you believe he’ll recover, and his sheer will to live can almost always overcome even the greatest illness. Part of our medicine is our attitude towards our patients.”

So Edmund never gave up hope, even on his worst cases. He was unfailingly optimistic, and never without a kind word or compliment to say to anyone. Jessamina knew that these traits would make him a wonderful husband, and, when the time came, a wonderful father.

Suddenly, she heard a high-pitched shriek of joy that she knew came from Alexis Dubose, the lady of the hour. Alexis was the daughter of Lord and Lady Alexander Dubose, and she was considered the darling of every London party. She was known for always being well-groomed and the epitome of a Victorian woman, which means that she was incredibly stupid. Alexis had never had an original thought in her life. Everything she did or said was a direct parrot from her her mother or some other high-respected member of society. Alexis wanted nothing more than to marry into the royal family (often forgetting that she was, in fact, the daughter of an English Lord) and have a large mansion so that she could boss around even more people than she usually did.

Unfortunately, Jessamina was the opposite of all these things, and once told Alexis how much she despised her. And although they were never really close friends to begin with, Alexis had been holding a grudge against Jessamina ever since. She probably would have cut her completely if not for the fact that Lady Dubose told her it might come in handy to be friends with a doctor.

Jessamina knew that if she wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible, she should try and say hello to her. So she walked up to her waited until she was noticed by Alexis.

“Jessamina! I didn’t think you would actually come!” Alexis sneered.
“Yes, well, you thought wrong. Happy Birthday, Alexis.”
“Thank you, darling. My, what an... interesting dress you’re wearing. Is that one of your mourning dresses?”
“As a matter of fact, it is.”
“Well, isn’t that peculiar. One would think that if you were still in mourning, you wouldn’t have shown up here tonight. But I suppose sitting all alone at home listening to your other cry was getting a little boring.”
“I came here tonight to support you.”
“Yes, well, I appreciate that. Now everyone will remember that this is the first time Jessamina has left the house since her father died! And in her blacks no less! What a scandal that will cause. And I love a good scandal.”
“It’s not the first time I’ve left the house since my father died.”
“oh, well, of course you had to leave for the funeral too, I suppose. So sorry I couldn’t make it, by the way. I had more important things to do.”

Jessamina cringed, but continued to try and make nice. “It’s a lovely party.”
“Isn’t it? Mother and Father worked so hard on getting everything ready and organized for tonight’s event. Seeing as though this is my first chance at having a suitor, this event needs to be the biggest talk of the season! Thankfully this won’t have to compete with your coming-out party. I wouldn’t want to steal your only sliver of fame.”
“Excuse me?”
“Don’t play dumb, Jessamina. People invite you to these events because they feel sorry for you, not because they like you. The poor girl who doesn’t have a father anymore. How tragic. It was the talk of the season, you know. I mean, if your father was a lord like mine, then people would be talking about it for years and years to come. But, seeing as your father was just a physician--”
“How dare you--”
“And a physician who dealt with the lower class, no less! Tell me, Jessamina, is it true that your father once gave assistance to a prostitute who was dying of consumption? And he didn’t even charge her? Why if I were you, I would just die of embarrassment. Of course, then your poor mother would have no one in the house anymore. At any rate, your father wasn’t even really a well-respected man--”
“My father is five times the man your father will ever be, Alexis Dubose!” Jessamina shouted. “Even in death, he helped more people than most people than an Lord could help in a lifetime. Your family is nothing but a disgrace to the English royal family, and you are nothing but a silly little girl who thinks that a party and pretty dresses make the world go round!”

There was silence in the ballroom. The musicians had stopped playing, and everyone was waiting to see what Alexis’ reaction to the outburst would be.

Alexis merely acted surprise and said in her interpretation of a loving, caring voice, “Oh Jessamina! I don’t know what I’ve done to upset you! I’m truly sorry if I’ve done anything to bring up those horrible memories. Please forgive me for my sins. Tell me we can still be friends?” Alexis held out a gloved hand, which Jessamina slapped away.

“You will never be anything to me,” Jessamina snarled.

And with that, Jessamina picked up her skirts and ran out of the hall, and into the dark gardens as far as she could. She finally came across a bench in a maze of topiaries and sat down.

After a few minutes, she heard rustling noises behind her. She stood up with a start and clasped her cameo brooch in defense. Once she saw the moonlight bounce off a mass of coppery curls, she let go of her brooch ad relaxed.

“Edmund, you frightened me,” she said.
“Sorry, love.”
“How’d you find me?”
“Jessa, you know there’s nothing that can keep me from you. I’m drawn to you like a moth to flames.”

Jessamina chuckled softly in spite of herself. Edmund sat down next to her.

“You want to tell me what happened back there?” he asked.

“Ugh, it’s Alexis! She kept saying horrible things about father, and how he was a disgrace to society. I couldn’t help myself, Edmund. I couldn’t.”

“Listen to me, Jessa. Your father was the most wonderful man I have ever met, and that includes my own father. And anyone who has ever met him will attest to the fact that he was a brilliant person with an enormous heart. I’m not sure what caused Alexis to say all these things, but I can assure you, she didn’t mean them. So don’t let her get to you, alright?”

“Alright. Can we go home now?”
“Are you serious? Jessa, I don’t think we’ll ever be allowed in there again!” They laughed. “Come on. I’ll find us a taxi.”

***********************************************


“Has it really been that long?” Jessamina marveled. “My, how time does fly.”

“Indeed. What have you been doing for the last few years?”
“Oh, just eliminating London’s worst criminals from the streets.” Jessamina thought. In reality, she said, “Oh, not much. Just keeping myself busy with household duties. Mother’s been rather ill lately.”
“Has she now? I’ll be sure to have some flowers sent over from my estate. Well, I can’t imagine the upkeep on a house of your size should be too preoccupying, given how small it is. That’s one of the perks of only having one house in the city, I suppose. A house in the country would be so much more work for you! It’s a shame you don’t have any man in the house to help you manage the household.”
“I enjoy the work, actually. Numbers and figures are rather easy to understand. Even a chimpanzee with any sort of training could perform simple arithmetic.”
“I’ve forgotten how witty you are, Jessamina. But really, why are you here tonight? i thought you had vowed never to come to one of these events ever again.”
“Yes, well, I am allowed to change my mind, aren’t I? The truth is, I was curious to find out about Mr. Blackhorne.”
“Mr. Blackhorne? Why should you care about an old geezer like him?”
“I meant his son.”
“Oh, James! We never call him Mr. Blackhorne; he thinks it makes him sound too much like his father.”
“Yes, well, I was interested in meeting James. I heard he is quite the gentleman.”
“Ha! Is that an understatement! James is possibly the most perfect man I have ever met in my entire life. He’s elegant, charming, handsome, and incredibly wealthy. What more could a young lady ask for? He and i are practically engaged.”
“Oh, are you now?”
“Oh, yes. We met last summer at a ball, and he;s called on me twice since then.”
“Twice in twelve months? Yes, that certainly is an accomplishment,” Jessamina said sarcastically.
“Well, that’s the only time I’ve actually seen him. But every week since I met him at that ball, I’ve had red roses sent to me, and always from ‘Your Secret and Most Ardent Admirer.’ Obviously it’s James who is sending them to me! Who else would know that roses are my favorite flower.”
“Any git from here to South Hampton could guess that.” Jessamina thought. But instead, she said, “Yes, who else? And when do you think he’ll stop hiding behind his flowers and actually propose to you?”
“Probably tonight. It’s been exactly almost a year since we last met. That can’t just be a coincidence you know.”

It honestly frustrated Jessamina how stupid Alexis was. To assume a marriage proposal based on loosely pieced together incidents could only be done by someone as desperate to get married as Miss Dubose.

“Oooh!” Alexis squealed. “There he is! Quickly, out of my way.”

Alexis pushed herself forward and started primping herself. All across the ballroom, pirls started fanning themselves rapidly in an attempt to be flirtatious. Jessamina turned to see what all the fuss was about.

She supposed he wasn’t horrid looking. Classically speaking, he was as fine a specimen of mankind as one could find in London. He had beautiful golden curls and sparkling blue eyes. He was tanned (Jessamina imagined him riding his horses during the summer) and incredibly strong, as he filled out his tuxedo jacket.

Jessamina decided that she understood why so many of the girls were swooning. She, of course, was not attracted to him (after the incident with Edmund, she decided that it wasn’t possible to have feelings for a man again) but she at least knew where the attraction was coming from.

She also realized that it was very possible Alexis wasn’t a complete liar, because he was headed right towards her with that devilishly handsome grin. Alexis readied herself and gave him her most winning smile (which Jessamina often compared to a lioness about to devour her prey).

“James,” she crooned as she gave a deep curtsy. “It’s been far too long.”
“I believe it has.” He kissed her hand. “Miss Dubose, isn’t it? What a delight to see you here again. Pray tell, did my father invite you?”

It took all of Jessamina’s self-restraint to stifle a snort of ridicule. It was clear that he hadn’t any intention of proposing to her, much less remembering her name. She was starting to like him already.

Alexis’ smile faltered for a second, but she simply pressed harder. “Well, I suppose he did, after knowing how well we it it off at last year’s party.”

“How very thoughtful of him. I must say, you look absolutely beautiful tonight, Miss Dubose, as always.”

Alexis blushed and giggled, and was about to start her more forward advances when all of a sudden , he said,

“But won’t you introduce me to the ravising creature standing behind you? i’m afraid I haven’t the pleasure of meeting her yet.” James locked eyes with Jessamina and held her in a enchanting, steady gaze.

“Who, her?” Alexis scoffed.

“She is your friend, isn’t she?” he asked, his eyes never leaving Jessamina’s.

“Yes, I suppose so.” Alexis sighed. She haughtily walked over to her gave another deep sigh. Jessamina pretended not to know the reason she was approaching, just to make the situation as uncomfortable for Alexis as possible.

“Yes, Alexis? Do you need something?” Jessamina asked in fake innocence.

“Mr. Blackhorne, I’d like to introduce you to Miss Jessamina Delaney. Her father is the late Doctor Delaney, physician and apothecary to London’s...less fortunate.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Miss Delaney.” he kissed her hand. Jessamina found herself blushing, which was peculiar, considering she had no feelings at all for the son of the man who killed her father.

“The pleasure is mine, Mr. Blackhorne.”
“Please, I beg of you, call me James. I’m not my father, you know. And I’m dreadfully sorry for your loss. I read about it in the papers, and I can’t even imagine what you must be going through. You must be an incredibly strong woman to be able to find the strength to go on with your day.”
“Yes, well, thank you. I appreciate your condolences.”
“I admire you incredibly, Miss Delaney. And I’m deeply honored and humbled by your presence here tonight.”

Jessamina couldn’t really believe her ears. Was it possible that a man as horrible and vile as Mr. Blackhorne could have a son this impeccably sincere? She deduced that there must have been some mix up at the hospital, and that James’ biological parents must be kindly English sheepherders who are tormented by a bumbling, alcoholic fool of a son.

Alexis, who decided that it had been far too long since someone had lavished praise upon her, tapped James on the shoulder to break the moment.

“James? Aren’t you going to ask someone to dance? It is a party, you know. It hardly seems appropriate to waste the time by talking.”

“You know, Miss Dubose, you are absolutely right.” He turned back to Jessamina and extended his hand. “Miss Delaney? May I have the honor of this next dance?”

Jessamina couldn’t decide whether she accepted his hand because she really wanted to dance with him, or because it meant that Alexis couldn’t, but either way she found herself being led across the floor to the center of the ballroom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com